Saturday, September 18, 2010

Concrete Jungle - Gurgaon

Recently I came to Gurgaon and joined a new organization after 6 long years of association with my first company in Pune. As everyone would do, I too made general inquiries about the place. Most of my friends warned me of some problems, to mention a few like infrastructure, public transport system etc. I thought things are hyped up specially knowing the fact that most of the corporates have their head offices located in Gurgaon. Ignoring these minor problems I went ahead and took a decision to relocate to Gurgaon.

Gurgaon is home to many Corporate Biggies and has been rightly proclaimed as land of opportunities and I fully agree without an iota of doubt. But with every growth phase you have associated problems and the problems here are too many. To name a few,

  • Public Transport - Despite being connected with Metro, Gurgaon just doesn't have the public transport backbone, which helps in many other ways.
  • Infrastructure - Barring highways the interior roads are in really very very bad shape and when I say Concrete Jungle, besides lack of greenry, I mean ,

    Concrete - Buildings & Highways
    Jungle - Interior Roads, specially the Old Gurgaon

  • Dust & Pollution - These are actually the by-products of above two problems, poor public transport system, forces people to take up their own vehicles and bad roads adds to dust. People like me who commute on two wheelers are exposed to huge amount of dust every day.
  • High Cost of living - Again an outcome of the first two problems, people have to shell out extra money to stay close to offices to avoid commutation problems or to avail cab services to avoid them.

I am sure the authorities are aware of these problems and the huge amount of taxes/tolls in Gurgaon will be used in the future appropriately to address these problems.


 


 

No comments: